The old and new year were celebrated with my home cured ham. It had been intended as a Christmas ham, but we had a range of illnesses and misfortunes in the last couple of weeks of the year so I decided to have it a New Year's Eve dinner.
It had been sitting in the fridge in a pure sugar brine and took it out a day before to dry a bit.
I had cured pork before, to make Kasseler, but used the commercial brining salt which contains all sorts of chemicals. This time I had found a method using only salt and a range of sugars and gave that a try. Even though I think I over salted it, the end result was still nice. Only a bit dry. But the flavour was nice and the rest will now make a lovely pea and ham soup!
Next up I will try to make a dry cured ham, as we love to have al fresco lunches with our own produce.