Saturday, August 27, 2011

Sunday Lunch...

...and past food exploits.

So, today for lunch we're having Pork chops cooked on onions in beer, with apple sauce, mashed potatoes, Spaetzle and beans.
A variation of a classic German lunch, Kasseler, which is normally served with Sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and apple sauce. I don't really like the tinned Sauerkraut, so last night I started a batch. I haven't done that in a long time, so it'll be interesting to find out in a fortnight if it worked. Or earlier if it didn't, as it starts smelling bad enough to make your toe nails curl up and fall out!

My bible for making the Sauerkraut and Kasseler, and all sorts of self-sufficiency topics has been an old book bought from the library AGES ago: Manual of Practical Homesteading And so far I can say, if you follow his advice down to the letter, even as a first timer you'll get some reasonable results! The only problem I have sometimes, it's all in US imperial measurements. But with scales that convert at the push of a button, or a good old fashioned calculator, pen and paper I have been able to make it work for me!

Here's what mine looks like: Calculations all over the pages, and bits falling out!










Another favourite cook book is my Edmonds Cookery Book.
Guess which one is mine!
Edmonds Cookery Book


































That's it for today, last weeks' stuff I'll put up tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment